Facts about Green Energy: 9 things you didn't know
If you care about the planet, you’ve probably done some research on renewable energy. However, renewable energy can provide a lot more than just environmental benefits.
So, what is renewable energy’s impact on the world, apart from helping the environment? To answer that question, here are nine things you may not know about renewable energy:
- Renewable energy is outpacing fossil fuels when it comes to job creation. For instance, the number of Americans working in the clean energy industry outnumber fossil fuel workers by 3-to-1.
- Median wages in the renewable energy industry are 8-19% higher than the economy average. Entry-level positions in the renewable energy industry also pay about $5-10 more than other jobs with similar background requirements.
- Renewable energy is competitive with other energy sources. Many types of renewable energy systems, like solar panels and wind turbines, are becoming cheaper, and may help protect consumers from rising electricity rates.
- Renewable sources generated roughly 26% of the world’s electricity in 2018.
- Renewable energy improves power grid stability and reliability. Different types of renewable energy solutions, like solar and wind power, are less likely to fail due to severe weather, since they’re spread out over a larger area and made up of multiple pieces of equipment. Where traditional power sources may fail, renewable energy sources can help pick up the slack.
- Renewable energy investments have surpassed fossil-fuel investments around the world. 2011 marked the first year that global investments in green energy solutions surpassed those in fossil fuels, and that gap continues to increase.
- Renewable energy is helping people around the world get access to electricity. About 940 million people (about 13% of the planet) don’t have access to electricity. Installing renewable energy technology is easier than extending the electric grid to under-populated areas, and it’s cheaper and cleaner than diesel or kerosene systems. This makes it the ideal solution for small and underprivileged communities.
- A report published by the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) in 2019 found that renewable energy sources could account for almost 50% of the world’s power generation by 2050.
- The renewable energy industry is expected to be valued at about $1,512.3 billion by 2025.
At IGS, we believe in doing our part to take care of the environment, which is why we are proud to offer renewable energy products that make it easy for consumers to help save the planet. Together, we can help make the future bright for the next generation.Read more about renewable energy