What Are Advantages of Natural Gas?
With a variety of energy sources available for consumption and use, knowing the benefits of each is important in being a smart energy consumer. Here are four facts to help guide you through the advantages natural gas use has over other energy sources such as coal or oil.
Natural gas is affordable.
- In most areas, natural gas can cost drastically less than electricity to heat your home and the water you use. It can also be half as expensive as coal or oil for the same tasks. By heating your home with natural gas instead of non-gas sources, you could potentially save more than $5,700 on average over 15 years after making the switch.
- Natural gas is also a deregulated utility, meaning that consumers have more control and choice over the price they pay for gas. On top of those savings, appliances that use natural gas often have much lower operating costs than non-gas appliances, so making the switch to natural gas can save you even more.
Natural gas is better for the environment than other fossil fuels.
- While natural gas is not as clean as solar or wind energy, it is the cleanest fossil fuel energy source available. According to the Florida Natural Gas Association, 3,000 pounds of carbon dioxide are kept out of the atmosphere for each home that uses a tankless water heater in place of a heater powered by another source.
- Natural gas also produces nearly a third less carbon dioxide than coal and almost half less than oil when burned. Natural gas also emits little to no sulfur, meaning it is eco-friendlier and runs more efficiently than other fuels.
Natural gas is more dependable.
- When heavy storms hits and your power goes out, depending on water heaters, lights and HVAC systems that run on electricity means that you’re stuck with the bare minimum until the power comes back on. With natural gas, that’s not the case.
- A benefit of using natural gas-powered water heaters and other important appliances is that the energy is delivered through an underground pipeline—meaning your energy source is safe from the effects of heavy storms and extreme weather conditions. And because your water is heated without electricity, you don’t have to lose this comfort in an emergency.
Natural gas is a domestic source.
- Part of trying to reduce dependency on foreign oil means finding sources of alternative forms of energy here in America—and according to the FNGA, over 97% of the natural gas used domestically is produced here, in North America.
- On top of being more economical and more abundant, increasing the amount of energy we make in our own country means opening more jobs for Americans to work in natural gas production. FNGA reports that 35,000 jobs are created for every 1% of increased production for natural gas.
Learn More About Your Natural Gas
To take advantage of natural gas and the benefits that can result from turning your home into a natural gas-friendly place, you can explore the plan and pricing options for natural gas in your area. By considering natural gas for your home, you can reap the personal rewards of this coal and oil alternative and help contribute to the benefits for the global community.Check natural gas prices in your area